NAIWE Expert Shel Horowitz will be joining us April 15 at 3:00 p.m. EDT for an hour-long member teleclass on how to leverage your knowledge and skills to create a diversified income. We hope you’ll join us!
With eight nonfiction books under his belt, including the long-running bestseller Guerrilla Marketing Goes Green and award-winners Grassroots Marketing for Authors and Publishers and Grassroots Marketing: Getting Noticed in a Noisy World, you’d think Shel Horowitz might be one of those people who makes a living selling books.
But actually, book sales are only small pieces of a diversified income, all of it involving the same analytical and communication skills he uses to write his books.
This call will explore several income streams writers can pursue. Examples will include some or all of (depending on how the call evolves):
- Consulting on the publishing process
- Consulting on your field of expertise (in Shel’s case, profitability and marketing for green/socially conscious businesses as well as authors and publishers–and with companies that want to turn hunger, poverty, war, and catastrophic climate change into sufficiency, peace, and planetary balance)
- Commercial writing for business: marketing and informational copywriting, correspondence, company histories, executive biographies, speeches, social media feeds, etc.
- Commercial writing for individuals (from resumes to thank-you notes to social media profiles)
- Foreign and subsidiary rights sales
- Product sales other than books
- Ads on your website
- Teaching and training
- Event organizing and facilitation
- Article, blog, and newsletter writing
- Radio and TV work as on-air personality, pundit, analyst, etc.
So here’s the good news: you can be a writer and make a living, even if the obvious ways aren’t working for you. Shel started his writing and consulting business back in 1981 as a typing service, “to hold me over until my freelance magazine and newspaper career took off.” The business kept evolving and is now an international copywriting, consulting, and speaking enterprise with clients on five continents. (He hasn’t typed a term paper in 25 years, and hasn’t had an outside employer since 1981.)
Join us for the teleclass
Bring your questions and concerns, and be ready to boost your career with your very own blog!